Are there any Health Benefits associated with making a New Years Resolution?
A new year has begun. It’s an opportunity for new beginnings and clean slates. But let’s face it. It’s also a time when you feel pressured to set huge, life-changing goals that are almost impossible to achieve. I want you to feel energized about the new year ahead, not stressed out so soon after it has begun. By ditching unrealistic resolutions and focusing on purposeful actions, you can make 2019 a year of better health, more joy and exciting opportunities.
What’s the big deal about purpose?
Purpose is what drives you. It’s what inspires you and keeps you motivated, passionate and engaged with the world around you. It’s the why behind everything you do. But is it important? Does it really impact your ability to live a happy and healthy life? Yes. It is. And it does.
In fact, the role that purpose plays in your life just might be the best indicator of your state of health. Why? Because people with a strong sense of purpose experience less stress, less depression, better mental health and more happiness. Purposeful living can even add years to your life! It can also reduce your risk of:
- Alzheimer’s Disease
- Cardiovascular Events
- Cognitive Impairment
- Dementia (by 53%!)
- Chronic Illness
It’s a big deal. A very big deal.
Each purposeful day you live means better health and wellness and less unrest in your body. It’s my personal belief that less unrest in your body leads to a balanced body that is in harmony, calmer and responds more positively.
Purpose is also pretty magical. Consider the grade school tutor who works with students who desperately need academic help. Remember, your purpose is your why. The tutor helps these students because he or she wants to offer encouragement and make a difference in their lives.
Here’s where it gets magical. The tutor is more than just a grade school tutor. He or she is actively serving as a Health Hero to each child and to himself or herself. The purpose ( offering encouragement and making a difference) behind the action (tutoring) creates this beautiful circle of giving and receiving in ways you can’t immediately see or feel. But it’s there, and it’s the key to a life that excites you, energizes you and drives you forward.
Most people don’t stick to their New Year’s resolutions, and there are several reasons why:
- They set unrealistic goals that just aren’t sustainable.
- They think they need to set these mind-blowing, gigantic goals that they don’t have the time or energy to achieve. For example, thinking that getting into shape requires an expensive gym membership and constant workouts – or that losing some weight requires an insanely restrictive diet plan.
- They set goals that are not in alignment with their purpose.
No wonder these resolutions don’t stand the test of time!
Focus on purposeful action for life changes that last.
Enriching your life with purposeful action is easier than you think. You simply have to find your purpose and let it live behind everything you do. Here’s what you need to do and know:
- Before you set goals or make promises to yourself … stop and think. Is this something that is important to you? If so, why is it important? Why do you want to do it? If it will enrich your life, or other peoples’ lives, go for it! If you realize that it really won’t make a difference, let it go – it won’t be sustainable.
- Even the smallest things you do throughout the year can (and should!) be fueled by your purpose. Don’t psych yourself out by thinking only the big things count. Offering to carry someone’s groceries to their car because you want to brighten someone’s day is a purposeful action!
- Not achieving a goal is perfectly acceptable. Failure now and then is inevitable and can lead to personal growth. If you don’t succeed in achieving a goal, remind yourself what drove you to make the attempt in the first place. If that purpose is still meaningful to you, set a new goal fueled by that same why and go for it!
Don’t let unrealistic or trendy resolutions distract you from the things that matter most to you. Use the power of purpose to create sustainable goals that you’re excited to achieve. When you have purpose behind your actions (big or small) you create lifelong habits that enrich your life with better health, positive energy, more happiness and beautiful meaning behind everything you do. Live your purpose, and create a magical new year.
If you have questions about finding your why and taking purposeful actions, please send me an email to share your thoughts.
Make healthy living a part of every day.
The light in me honors the light in you. Namaste.
Sign Up to join our growing Health Hero community and have the latest health and wellness research and topics delivered to your inbox weekly. For daily updates, live chats, inspiration, community and more, follow us on Facebook.
- Find your purpose. Create a list of the things that inspire you and make you happy. Just write down the things that you would enjoy doing and accomplishing over the course of the year. Then, make them a priority. This works wonders for your body and spirit.
- Find your patience. Determining your purpose sometimes takes time and patience, but the payoff is huge. Once you’ve achieved this, your focus and concentration increase exponentially, allowing you to stay on track and thrive!
- Find your zen. Your spirituality plays a big role in identifying your purpose. Try meditating to calm your mind and focus on the positive. Even taking a 1-minute pause during your day to reflect and breathe deeply can clear your mind and help you find your why!