Skip to content
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 large carrot (peeled and diced)
- 2 stalks celery (diced)
- 1 large potato (peeled and diced)
- 3-4 garlic cloves (finely minced)
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 28 oz. vegetable broth
- 8-10 oz. broccoli crowns (cut into 1-inch pieces, separate the stems and florets)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 tsp salt
- In a large saucepan, heat extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, carrot and celery, cook for 5-7 minutes while stirring often. All celery and onion to soften.
- Add potato and garlic, cook for an additional 2 minutes while stirring.
- Stir in flour, dry mustard and cayenne, cook, stirring often for 2-3 minutes.
- Now, add broth and broccoli stems and bring everything to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium. Simmer and stir occasionally for 10-12 minutes.
- Stir in florets. Cover and simmer until the broccoli is tender. About 10-12 minutes.
- Transfer 2 cups cooked chowder to a large mixing bowl and mash ingredients, return to pan.
- Stir in cheddar and sour cream. Cook over medium heat. Stir until cheese melts and chowder is heated through. About 2-3 minutes.
- Season with salt.
- Serve hot.