Skip to content
- 5 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion (peeled, sliced thinly)
- 28 oz. whole peeled tomatoes (crushed)
- 1 large red bell pepper (seeded, rib removed, sliced thinly)
- 2 fresh serrano peppers (seeded, rib removed, sliced thinly)
- 4 cloves garlic (crushed and minced)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp smoked Spanish paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin seeds
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup oil-cured black olives
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro (minced)
- In a large skillet, heat 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil over high heat.
- Add onion, red pepper and hot pepper.
- Allow vegetables to get deeply browned on the bottom. About 5-6 minutes.
- Stir and repeat until all vegetables are fully softened and charred in spots. About 4-5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 30-35 seconds.
- Stir and add paprika and cumin.
- Cook for 30-35 seconds.
- Add tomatoes and stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to a very low simmer. About 10-12 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add half the cilantro.
- Using a large wooden spoon, make a well near perimeter of pan.
- Break an egg into it.
- Spoon some sauce over edge of egg white to partially submerge it.
- Leave yolk exposed.
- Repeat with remaining eggs.
- Season eggs with some salt.
- Cover skillet and reduce heat to lowest setting.
- Eggs should barely set with runny yolks.
- About 6-8 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining cilantro.
- Serve over rice, cauliflower rice or with bread.