Skip to content
Moroccan Chicken Stew
Moroccan Chicken Soup
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 3 skinless (boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
- 3 cups butternut squash (peeled and cubed)
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 4 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1/3 cup uncooked couscous
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 zucchini (quartered lengthwise and sliced into 3/4-inch pieces)
- 1/2 cup basil (coarsely chopped fresh)
- 2 tsp grated orange rind
- Heat a Dutch oven to medium heat.
- Add oil to pan.
- Add onion, and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken and cook for 4 minutes, browning on all sides.
- Add cumin, cinnamon, and pepper to pan. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add butternut squash and tomato paste and cook for an additional minute.
- Stir in chicken stock, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes.
- Stir in couscous, salt, and zucchini and cook 5 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Remove pan from heat. Stir in chopped basil and orange rind.