Skip to content
Family Favorite Fried Rice
- 1/2 cup fennel (finely diced)
- 1/2 cup carrot (finely diced)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup red pepper (finely diced)
- 1/2 cup mushrooms (finely sliced)
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup finely sliced red onions
- 1/2 cup broccoli (finely diced)
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup quick cooking brown rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 3 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Using a medium pot, add fennel, carrots and garlic to the bottom along with 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil.
- Saute on medium heat for roughly 5 minutes. The fennel should become translucent.
- Remove garlic cloves.
- In the pot, add uncooked brown rice and continue to saute for another 5 minutes.
- Add salt and water to pot and cook mixture uncovered.
- The majority of the water should be absorbed by rice, stirring frequently.
- As the rice cooks, start to heat 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- In another medium bowl, beat eggs and scramble in skillet with oil.
- When rice is ready and fluffed, transfer it to the skillet and add the remaining oil, the peppers, broccoli, sesame oil, soy sauce and pepper to taste.
- Saute for roughly 5-7 minutes while stirring frequently.
- Serve hot.