Skip to content
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 cups beef or vegetable broth
- 1 medium russet potato (peeled and diced)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups beets (steamed and cubed)
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 Tbsp prepared horseradish
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley (chopped)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown. About 4 minutes.
- Add broth, potato, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until the potato is just tender. About 8 minutes.
- Add beets and vinegar then return to a boil. Cover and continue cooking until the broth is deep red and the potato is very soft. About 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Combine sour cream and horseradish in a small bowl.
- Serve soup with a dollop of the horseradish sour cream and a sprinkle of parsley.