Skip to content
- 3 Tbsp water
- 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- 3/4 cup celery (finely chopped)
- 1 lb. jumbo lump crab meat (shell pieces removed)
- 1/4 cup olive oil mayonnaise (divided)
- 3 Tbsp fresh chives (divided and minced)
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard (divided)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 large egg (lightly beaten)
- 1 cup whole-wheat panko (divided)
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil (more to coat pans)
- 2 Tbsp reduced-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce (Tabasco or Frank’s)
- 16 lemon wedges
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Combine 3 Tbsp water, apple cider vinegar and sugar in a medium microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave on high for 2 minutes. The mixture should boil.
- Add celery and let stand for 15-20 minutes.
- On paper towels, drain crab meat.
- Add and combine 1/2 of celery, 2 Tbsp mayonnaise, 1 Tbsp chives, 1 tsp mustard along with black pepper and salt and egg in a medium bowl.
- Stir with a whisk and add crab meat and 1/4 panko to mayonnaise mixture.
- Toss gently and allow to chill for 20 minutes.
- Combine remaining panko, 1 Tbsp chives and oil in a bowl and mix.
- Sprinkle 1/2 tsp panko in bottom of each of the 16 muffin cups that have been lightly coated with extra-virgin olive oil.
- In each cup, spoon a heaping Tbsp of crab meat mixture over breadcrumbs.
- Spread 1/2 tsp panko mixture evenly over each cup.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 400 F.
- Have your broiler preheat on high.
- Lightly brush some extra-virgin olive oil on crab cakes and broil for 1-2 minutes to make sure tops become crisp.
- Combine and mix remaining mayonnaise, yogurt, mustard, celery, chives and hot sauce in a medium bowl.
- Top each crab cake with roughly 1/2 tsp sauce.
- Serve with a lemon wedge.