One Person Has Died and Eight More Hospitalized Due to Salmonella Linked to Ground Beef
What Strain Of Salmonella Was Found?
The strain in question is called Salmonella Dublin. It is a dangerous bacteria that can cause serious disease and even death in cattle. It is less severe for humans but can lead to bloodstream infections and long hospital stays. Numbers are on the rise and infection can be difficult to treat due to antibiotic resistance.
How Does This Strain Compare?
This particular strain of Salmonella is looking more serious than others. While most cases have a hospitalization rate of around 20%, this strain is showing a rate of 89%. Salmonella bacteria colonize in the gut and can then spread to the bloodstream via lymphoid tissues. Once it’s in the bloodstream it can infect organs and bodily tissues including those around your brain, spinal cord, or lining of your heart or valves.
Should We Avoid Ground Beef Until The Source Is Found?
The CDC is not recommending that people avoid ground beef at this time. Instead, they are stressing food safety protocols that should be followed at all times. Here’s what to do:
- Never eat raw or uncooked ground beef.
- Thoroughly wash for 20 seconds with hot, soapy water hands, surfaces, and anything else not going in the trash that came in contact with raw beef.
- Use a food thermometer when cooking. Meat is considered safe to eat once it has reached an internal temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Refrigerate or freeze raw meat within 2 hours of purchase. Once cooked, refrigerate leftovers and make sure to consume them within 3 or 4 days.
Though Michigan has not been listed in the multi-state outbreak, it can be anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks before an illness is reported. Please make sure to take extra precautions while the CDC investigation continues.